Wednesday 12 January 2011

Why I Love Being a University Student

Today was my second day of my new classes this semester and I am pumped for what the next four months have in store. I have a feeling this is going to be my most intense semester ever and a large part of that is because I finally decided to man up a little. I’m taking three English courses, two of which are 3000 level, a Neuroscience course and a Psychology course. I’m not too worried about my science courses, but the English ones should be interesting.

For Children’s Literature I get to read:

Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland – Lewis Carroll
Little Women – Louisa May Alcott
Treasure Island –Robert Louis Stevenson
Bridge to Terabithia – Katherine Paterson
Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone – J.K. Rowling
As well as a massive survey of fairy tales and other children’s stories

Should be easy enough as well as quite entertaining. My prof is anti technology and won’t allow computers in the classroom, which is a major bummer for me, but we’ll see how it goes. I’m interested to see how the Harry Potter section will turn out…

For Contemporary Literature I get to read:

Libra – Don DeLillo
Vas: An Opera in Flatland – Steve Tomasula
Maus – Art Speigleman
House of Leaves – Mark Z. Danielewski
Schrodinger’s Cat – Ursula K. Le Guin
As well as a whole bunch of postmodern short stories

I think I’m going to be in heaven in this class. It’s with the same prof who chose a Jonathan Safran Foer book for us to read last semester, so I trust her reading choices already. That and I’ve heard that a lot of the things we are studying have wicked typography and pages where the font runs all over the page. Seeing as my one request for Christmas was JSF’s Tree of Codes, I think I’m going to fit right in.

For Modern Novel I get to read:

The Sound and The Fury – William Faulkner
Hunger – Knut Hamsun
Three Lives – Gertrude Stein
Mrs. Dalloway – Virginia Woolf
Ulysses – James Joyce

I have never been more intimidated by a course than I am by this one. Reason #1: We are given two weeks to read Ulysses. For those of you who haven’t seen Ulysses, it is massive and certainly not a two week read for a slow reader like me, especially when we have to read a guide every chapter along with it just to understand it. I’m overly terrified slash wonderfully excited to tackle a book that has been referenced by every single English prof I’ve ever had. Reason #2: My prof has a vanity plate that says “ULYSSES” above his office door. If that isn’t scary, I don’t know what is. Reason #3: My prof is the Associate Dean for Arts and Science. This is the guy whose job it is to expel students for cheating or plagiarism. No pressure. Reason #4: He said in-class essays that take more than an hour are ridiculous. I don’t write essays in an hour. Reason #5: He wants our final 18-page paper due back in increments. For those of you who have ever witnessed me writing a paper or know about my writing techniques, I also don’t do increments.

This class has me scared out of my mind (my heart was racing through the reading of the syllabus) but I’m excited. It’s important to note that one of the reasons I’m sticking with it is because reading Ulysses is on my life list. I’m excited to be challenged and, while he is intimidating, the prof seems quite funny and I have a feeling I’m going to learn a lot. Also, he has old Windsor eyeglasses, so that’s pretty legit too.

Between my own personal entertainment readings (I just took an optimistic 20 books out from the library. What are the chances I'm going to touch more than 3 of them?), Kerry’s Canadian-book-a-month, and whatever neuro and psych textbooks I have to read, I basically don’t intend to do anything else but read in my free time. This is why I love university.

5 comments:

kerry said...

You should start reading Ulysses now. I don't envy you on that one actually -- and even though I didn't respond, I am definitely excited that you're reading Little Women. Did you know Little Women is Joey Potter's favourite book? It totally is.

Also, yeah for the shout out of funness. I have to get organized for January's book.

Doug said...

Oh man, I'll send you a truckload of Cole's Notes lol.

Ben said...

Ulysses actually is the tower of symbolism that English profs pretend every other novel is. That's why they like it so much and that's why it is largely unreadable to the general public.

You might have the chops for it though. I know for sure that I don't yet.

I hadn't even heard of the new JSF book! Very interesting. Will get.

Unknown said...

oooooooo

neuroscience!!!! is glen prusky your prof? he was my favourite.

my neuroscience classes were always my best! i loved them! i probably have some immaculately written notes for the class you're taking! (and probably the psych class too).

let me know if you would like them!

mdwillems said...

Ugh, I haven't started Ulysses yet... too many other books! Oh dear.

And I'm in Neurosci with Whishaw, who is actually kind of a great prof. I'm definitely a fan of him. And my Psych is Children's Development. The prof is terrible but I need it for my minor so, I press on. Hmm, I'd be so curious to see your notes Courtney, if nothing else but to see how exactly it is you take notes. Maybe we can do a DDR mat/note exchange :)