Sunday 16 January 2011

The 68th Annual Golden Globes!!!

All right ladies and gentlemen, movie buffs and movie buffettes, it’s the moment you’ve all been waiting for!! The Golden Globes are tonight!! I know you’ve all been sitting in eager anticipation, preparing your living room for hours of unimaginable entertainment and suspense!! Pop that popcorn!! Stir that Ice Tea!! It’s time for the red carpet!!!!

I get it. Nobody really cares about award shows. And to be honest, I don’t even care about them enough to actually watch them, I’m just going to get the results tomorrow morning. I’ve wasted way too many hours of my life listening to the Lifetime Achievement award about someone who did something back when my grandparents were courting. But I still appreciate them, for the mere fact that they bring immortality to a lot of movies. I am one of those people who uses Best Picture lists to choose what movie to watch next. I judge an entire year based on the movies that were picked out as “the best”, so I want the movies representing 2010 to be deserving of that title. Perhaps it’s a little melodramatic, but, meh, I’ve got nothing else to do on a Sunday evening (oh wait, except read 200 pages from Ulysses. SHoooot.)

So, as referenced multiple times in the last couple of posts, I had intended to see Inception one last time before the awards but unfortunately, it was just not meant to be. I tried to hide my views and appear impartial so as not to seem biased when comparing other nominees in the Best Picture category, but I am glaringly aware that I failed massively. I love love love Inception, and I want the world to know. Instead of a huge long review, here are 6 solid reasons why I can’t get enough of it (and why you should watch it, if by some freak chance you haven’t.)
  1. Juno, Tom, and Jack. Ellen Page, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Leonardo DiCaprio are all extraordinary actors and this movie is no exception.
  2. The soundtrack. The soundtrack. The soundtrack! Hans Zimmer is brilliant and this movie will definitely go down as one of my favourite soundtracks. If you’ve seen the movie and haven’t figured out why the music is awesome, check out this link. Blasting this soundtrack in my car automatically makes me feel like everyone on the road is out to get me – and I love it!! It’s powerful, dramatic, inspirational, and brilliant. LOVE it!
  3. Originality. I realize that the plotline isn’t 100% original, but in this day and age it definitely comes close…er. This movie strives to go to new places and it doesn’t disappoint. Considering three of the five movies in the Best Picture category are biographies, Inception definitely gets points for being unique.
  4. It doesn't need to be sexy. The closest thing it comes to any form of sexuality is a brief and comical kiss. It still has a PG-13 rating for it's violence (though, is it really violence, because if you get shot in the dream world, does it happen in real life? OH MY! brain ninja), but I appreciated that it didn't go over the top for the sake of going over the top.
  5. Brain Ninja. This is the very official term for the effect that occurs after the last scene ends and the credits start rolling and you are sitting there in hopeless desperation, contemplating reality, unsure of what you’re supposed to do next. Does it even matter anymore? Were you even watching a movie? Do you even EXIST? These are wonderful feelings, matched in greatness only by love.
  6. Freaking Amazingness. Again, a very official term that I deem appropriate for the sake of describing this movie. It has humour, it has thrills, it has action, it has drama. I watched this movie three times in theatre (don’t worry, I didn’t pay every time) and I don't regret it at all. Like I said previously, I giggled through the entire movie the first time out of pure joy, and then just waited in anticipation for the inevitable groan from the audience at the end of the movie the second and third time. 
So there you have it. Again, not very official, but I needed to make my love for Inception public (in fact, as soon as I finish this blog I’ll even go make it Facebook official).

Below are my official thoughts on what is going to go down tonight at the Golden Globes. I tried my absolute best to be as informed as I could on the nominees but there were some categories that I missed out entirely, so I just didn’t include them. I really regret not being able to see 127 Hours because I heard it was amazing but, oh well. Maybe I’ll catch in time for the duh duh duh duuuh: 83rd ACADEMY AWARDS!! Just kidding, I’m kind of tired of award shows now and I can’t see my opinions changing that drastically, but who knows? Maybe I’ll have run out of new blog post ideas by then. Stay tuned for exciting drama!!!

Michael’s Very Informed, Perfectly Opinionated, 100% Accurate Guide to the 68th Annual Golden Globe Awards!!!!

Best Motion Picture – Drama
Should win: Inception
Will win: The King’s Speech
(This is the big one and honestly there’s some tough competition. Black Swan has a high chance of winning due to its massive theatrics and sensuality, but I think The King’s Speech will win out for its purity and amazing acting. I always think the movie I choose is the underdog so that way I’m that much happier if it wins.)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama
Should win: Colin Firth – King’s Speech
Will win: Colin Firth – King’s Speech
(I think this one is pretty much a shoe-in. Unless James Franco’s acting in 127 Hours is mind-blowing, Colin Firth wins this one by a landslide.)

Best Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical:
Should win: Burlesque
Will win: Burlesque
(I commented previously on this category and I’m still just as impartial. I am opinionated because I know which ones shouldn’t win, so that left Red and Burlesque. I haven’t seen either but I know that I, along with most movie critics, generally favour musicals (it's just hard to resist someone singing show-tunes). Either way there are just WAY too many Cher lovers out there so it will probably win.)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical:
Should win: Emma Stone – Easy A
Will win: Julianne Moore – The Kids are All Right
(This is kind of the same as the last category. I just don’t want The Kids are All Right to win, though I’m fairly confident they will. That and, I’m not going to lie, I have a bit of a moviestar crush on Emma Stone. Easy A was hilarious and while it was more focused towards a teen demographic, I think it was clever and deserves some respect. Plus, the whole movie is a massive allusion to an old English text, what's not to love.)

Best Animated Feature Film:
Should win: How to Train Your Dragon
Will win: Toy Story 3
(So I know that I’ll probably gain some enemies by saying that I don’t want Toy Story 3 to win, especially considering the chances of it losing are the same as the chances of my father voting for Sarah Palin in the next election. But, I hate to say it, I just really didn’t enjoy this movie. It was good and reminiscent during its sentimental moments, but it was terrifying and absurd for the rest of it. I have to go with my gut, and my gut says Dragons.)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Should win: Melissa Leo – The Fighter
Will win: Melissa Leo – The Fighter
(While this movie didn’t particularly blow my mind, Melissa Leo was pretty incredible at being a crazy mother. She scared me, ergo, she wins.)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Should win: Geoffrey Rush – The King’s Speech
Will win: Christian Bale – The Fighter
(Geoffrey Rush’s character was lovable, confident, and risk-taking, and all of these characteristics were portrayed perfectly. That being said, movie critics tend to favour drug-induced characters and Christian Bale will probably snag it.)

Best Director – Motion Picture
Should win: Christopher Nolan – Inception
Will win: David Seidler – The King’s Speech
(I have a mancrush on Christopher Nolan. The man has directed Dark Knight, Prestige, Memento, and Inception. Every single one of those movies place in my top favourites, therefore the man deserves some credit.)

Best Screenplay – Motion Picture
Should win: David Seidler – The King’s Speech
Will win: David Seidler – The King’s Speech
(It is deserved.)

Best Original Score – Motion Picture
Should win: Inception
Will win: Inception
(At least I’m really really hoping so. This soundtrack is phenomenal and I would be very sad if it is not given the recognition it deserves.)

Best Original Song – Motion Picture
Should win: “There’s a Place for Us” – Carrie Underwood – Chronicles of Narnia
Will win: “You Haven’t Seen the Last of Me” – Burlesque
(I have not actually seen any of the movies on this list but I listened to the songs independently from the film on Youtube. In my opinion, Carrie Underwood has the better song, plus I have a subconscious need to support Chronicles of Narnia as a Christian... weird. That and, like I said, there are way too many Cher fans out there. She still sounds like a man, 90 years later.)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series – Drama
Should win: Hugh Laurie – House
Will win: Jon Hamm – Mad Men
(I don’t really think House has a fighting chance in this category, but I will always be a fan of Hugh Laurie. Regardless of how typical House’s plot line gets, all it takes is for me to watch a couple of interviews of Hugh Laurie in real life and I am re-blown away all over again. The man has a British accent for crying out loud!! On the other hand, Mad Men wins everything.)

Best Television Series – Comedy Musical
Should win: Glee
Will win: Glee
(I am still on the fence about my attraction to this show. I may not agree with it entirely, but I can’t deny that it has become a massive success in only one season. If 30 Rock takes this award, I give up.)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series – Comedy or Musical
Should win: Steve Carell – The Office
Will win: Alec Baldwin – 30 Rock
(Poor Steve Carell. Every year I cheer for him in support of my favourite show on TV and every year I get disappointed. He won’t win this award, but I still believe in him. Did you hear that Stevey? I STILL BELIEVE IN YOU!!
… stupid 30 Rock.)

Done and done. With only 90 minutes until the beginning of the awards, my tally is finally in. I have probably dedicated way too much time on this but, hey, somebody's got to do it. Where would the world be without millions of entirely uninfluential bloggers voicing their completely futile opinions for the whole of the internet world? Amiright!

Good night, and good luck.

2 comments:

kerry said...

i guess i'll have to see the social network at some point now. maybe. i really loved the king's speech.

i've never been big on awards shows. i like looking at the pictures of everyone's clothing afterwards, but it's always too slow. action! action! action! that's what i want.

i noticed you've gone to the lengths of posting your blog on the facebook. bold!

mdwillems said...

Bleh, don't feel like you have to.

And I agree. I never actually watch them. This year I just read the entertaining synopsis of them here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1810776/synopsis.

And as for putting it on Facebook, yes, I have gone there. I debated not, and I definitely won't put it up there every time, but I figured it was worth a shot. It's all part of my anti-secret blog campaign :)