Sunday 2 March 2008

Walking Along a Busy Road

I was walking along a busy road,
With a crowd forever long,
And I was right in the very middle,
Just being swept along.
But then the crowd just stopped and stood,
So I strained to my tallest height,
And there in the road stood two large signs,
One faced left; the other right.
To the right was a tattered, rotting path,
Full of vines, thorns; a tangled lot,
A path that looked like someone had forged it,
And then just left it there to rot,
But in the midst of it all,
There was a feeling inside,
A feeling of serenity and peace,
A sense of humble pride.
To the left was a glowing road,
Where there was luxury galore,
Where the path almost seemed to sparkle,
And suffering seemed no more.
But there was also a feeling here,
Full of power, greed, and lust,
A foreboding sense surrounded it;
A feeling you just couldn’t trust.
One by one the crowd around me,
Slowly trickled away,
Some ran fast and others leaped,
While some just slowly strayed.
You could tell some did not think twice;
Others were full of resistance,
But soon the mass had headed left,
Till they were mere specks in the distance.
So I gradually glanced around,
And slowly stared at the few,
People who had stood their ground,
Unsure of what to do.
The conflict was strong but short-lived,
As wisdom easily won,
And as a group we turned to the right;
Our journey had finally begun.
We stumbled through the vines and watched,
The thorns scratch through our clothes,
Until we were so cut and scraped,
We were bleeding from head to toe.
There were so many times I almost quit,
Almost threw my hands up high,
Why couldn’t I just turn around?
Why couldn’t they leave me here to die?
But something in my troubled heart,
Stopped and told me no;
I could not quit that easily,
I couldn’t just let it go.
So as a group we struggled on,
We stayed to put up a fight,
Until we saw amidst the gloom,
A bright and shining light.
As we cleared through the prickly brush,
Our mouths snapped down in awe,
We looked at each other quizzically,
Not believing what we saw.
For before us was a banquet,
Spread as far as the eye could see,
The food was in abundance,
And the drink was flowing free.
Amazed, we approached the table,
Unsure if we could eat,
But something told us it was fine,
So we gladly took a seat.
Then a mighty wind swept though us,
It was a soft and gentle kiss,
It wrapped us in its powerful arms,
Dipping us in its bliss.
Our wounds were cleared in front of us,
The blisters were removed from our feet,
This awesome power enveloped us;
A sense of being complete.
The memories of our struggles,
Were quietly washed away,
For we had reached our final goal,
And we were here to stay.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These are amazing Mike! You are such a good writer... if only you could have helped me during poetry and short stories! Shucks! ;)
You definitly know how to hit the emotion, and showing them/publishing them on a blog may not sound like much to you, but from what I learned about you and your writting during the summer, this was probly a big step for you and I'm so glad did this because these are amazing and everyone should know what kind of amazing talent you have.
Just some random, nice, kind words I just felt like sharing with you cause for some crazy reason I seem to tell you almost everything! kind, and not always so kind... and these youtube clips are making me really emotional! There supposed to be together!! :'( Ugh. You love to hate it right? Right.
Talk to you soon
Alexis