Thursday 16 May 2013

Goodbye to The Office - A Recount of TV's Greatest Love Story

Disclaimer: This post might be pretty cheesy. That's ok, just rock it anyway.

Well my friends. The time has finally come. The Scrubs finale had me sad and content, the Friends finale gave me a single tear, but I don't think a show finale will bring me as much emotional response as the end of The Office. I know it's weird to talk about your emotional connection with a TV show but hey, you probably wouldn't be reading this if you didn't feel it a little bit too. The Office has been on for 9 years and it's the only show that I have followed dedicatedly from start to finish. It's weird to think that I first started watching this show when I was in Gr. 10. Man, a lot of things have changed since then. It's such an amazing feeling to be able to look back on a show and not only remember each episode, but be able to connect the show to certain monumental moments in your life or certain people that you watched it with. Probably the best part of enjoying media of any time is being able to relate it to your own life.

The Office has a boring premise--a fake documentary on people in a paper supply office--yet it has had enough character development to drive it for, what I consider to be nine strong seasons (ok fine, there were some weaker episodes, but whatever). I can't count how many times I've seen each episode as I have pretty much fallen asleep to this show every night for years. If I were teaching a media class, I would teach many lessons on the ability of The Office to take am incredibly boring premise and create characters so ridiculous and at the same time so relatable that it is able to succeed in mainstream media. (Even if, and I will always be bitter about this, Michael Scott never won an Emmy).

*Warning: There are some spoilers ahead if you've never seen an episode of The Office. *Warning: If you've never seen an episode of The Office, we probably aren't really friends. I'm sorry you had to find out this way.
*Warning: If you have a slow browser, this post may kill you. Godspeed.

One of the greatest strengths in this show is Jim and Pam's relationship. The producers did such a great job of creating a relationship that was so perfectly relatable and so entertaining. I thought it had peaked at their wedding and I honestly considered not following the show after that. But, they took it a step further and I love that they continued following their relationship as it grew into a complex and strong marriage. If you hate everything about this show you still have to admit that they have one of the best representations of a real, sincere relationships in TV history. (Even if you totally disagree with that, tonight's the finale. Don't speak ill of the dead. Let me have my moment.)

Now it's time for a walk down memory lane AKA:


Everything I Needed to Know About Relationships I Learnt From Jim and Pam



When you can declare it was, "It was a good day," despite everything else going wrong.



The ability to flirt and create a strong foundation of friendship.



Sharing in similar interests and sexual tension.



Wanting to tell someone how you feel but not knowing how.



That first kiss.



And then immediate rejection.



When time apart forces you to realize how much you care about someone.


When you are finally able to share your feelings out loud.

When you are able to evoke a strong emotion out of something so small.

Leading to that moment three years in the making.

The honeymoon stage of a new relationship.

And the decision to ask that person to marry you.

The proposal.

The decision to "come back the wrong way"-- making a life decision for a significant other even if it means giving up on a dream.

Supporting each other through tough times.

Jim's Reaction To Pam's Pregnancy photo jimsreactiontopamspregnancy.gif
Finding out that your going to be dad.

Making a fool of yourself for the other person.

The wedding.

Freaking out for the other person (and probably my favourite scene of Jim).

The first child.

The creativity and effort put into gifts for the other.

The dedication to remaining loyal.

The hardship of a plateau. (Jim's face in this scene had me bawling).

Learning everything about your spouse and still working on keeping things fresh.

The struggles of marriage.

The importance of fighting for your relationship.

Remembering that above all things, these three remain: faith, hope, and love.

Placing the other in front of everything else in life.

Seriously though, there are things that I learned from Jim and Pam that I will be applying to many relationships in my life (romantic or otherwise). Tonight we say goodbye to them but I'm pretty sure I will be watching these episodes for a looong time (and will force my future child/spouse/friends to watch them with me).

Farewell The Office, you will be missed.



You didn't think I would make an Office post without Michael or Dwight right?




image



1 comment:

Village Talkies said...

Thank you very much for providing important information. All your information is very valuable to me.
Village Talkies a top-quality professional corporate video production company in Bangalore and also best explainer video company in Bangalore & animation video makers in Bangalore, Chennai, India & Maryland, Baltimore, USA provides Corporate & Brand films, Promotional, Marketing videos & Training videos, Product demo videos, Employee videos, Product video explainers, eLearning videos, 2d Animation, 3d Animation, Motion Graphics, Whiteboard Explainer videos Client Testimonial Videos, Video Presentation and more for all start-ups, industries, and corporate companies. From scripting to corporate video production services, explainer & 3d, 2d animation video production , our solutions are customized to your budget, timeline, and to meet the company goals and objectives.
As a best video production company in Bangalore, we produce quality and creative videos to our clients.