Sunday 21 October 2012

Holy Crap Guys I'm In My Senior Year of University That's Super Weird

I'm back!

It's been far too long but this hiatus was definitely necessary. For the first time in my university career I actually care about my classes, being in Ed and all, so the amount of effort that I have to put into them has increased exponentially. School's actually really hard when you actually do all the assignments/readings. Who knew?

My Peru journals are slowly coming along; I wanted to make sure that I had more than one finished before I started posting them. But we're not quite there yet. First, random stories of my life:

·      "No, it appears that 'Deeper in You' is not in yet, but we have two copies of 'Pleasures of the Night', five copies of 'Lustfully Ever After', and three copies of 'Hot in Handcuffs'." How I manage to keep a straight face during these conversations is far beyond me. My job is entertaining. (And yes, those are all legitimate titles.)

·      My mother is notoriously bad at segues. I always laugh at how she tries so hard to connect things that really have nothing in common. Today, I was talking with a friend and we had been joking around for a while. He was shocked that I was in Education because he’d never heard me talk about it. I replied, “Well, cat’s out of the bag! Surprise!” He laughed and then replied very sombrely, “Speaking of coming out of the bag, my cousin came out as gay today.” Apparently my mother’s not the only one who sucks at segues.

·      My other friend and I have the same type of phone which are notoriously bad for sending half messages and cut up texts. My phone has ripped my texts in half and sent half of mine and half of someone else's. This is all well and good until it starts mixing my texts with people who are speaking in French, or worse, sexting. Some awkward explaining occurred there. Anyway, my friend and I were complaining about how terrible our phones are and I, indulging my poetic self, texted: “Broken people and broken phones saying broken things with broken bones. Even in an age of technological connection, we are victims of autonomous dissection.” The text she received was “Broken people . . . broken bones MESSAGE BROKEN: (autonomous dissection).” I’ve now concluded my phone is sentient and trying to kill me.

So that’s pretty much my life right now. Well really not at all. But anyway, the reason for this post is that I want to show off some more spoken word artists. Shane Koyczan (pronounced Koyzan, not Koyksdsdfsan, as I once thought) is a Canadian spoken word artist who was born in the Yukon but moved to BC. Most of you will probably recognize him since he was the poet laureate who spoke at the Olympics (really big guy with a deep, booming voice). The poem that he did at the Olympics is probably my least favourite of his, but man alive can this guy write. Seriously, his stuff blows me away in ways that nothing ever has before. That’s not even a hyperbole—I have actually sat listening to his clips on youtube for hours with my jaw just on the floor. I won’t amp him up too much, but just know that I am driving five hours out of my city to see him live next month.

Here’s one of my favourite clips by him. Note: It does contain some adult language. Also note: don’t listen to it half-heartedly, that’s just a waste of time. Listen to it intentionally.


How this video only has 15,000 hits is beyond me. I had to listen to it every night for two weeks before I was able to start taking in everything he says.

3 comments:

AME said...

Awesome video - "What is your life worth without a story to tell"

mdwillems said...

Is it by Shane Koyzcan? I can't seem to find it on youtube... can you post the link?

Sarah said...

Was the autonomous dissection text sent to me? I definitely got some awkward French messages and some sexts but autonomous dissection doesn't sound as familiar. The one that often comes to mind is "if he thinks I'm going to just give in to him, well, he should know that I am not that kind of girl and he's gonna have to work for it."