Tuesday 15 February 2011

Miscellaneous

First off, happy Valentine's Day! This is my first year being non-apathetic towards the matter and it was a wonderful day. I don't have time to make a full coherent blog post so here are some things that are on my mind.

Ulysses.
As mentioned in a previous post I have to read this book in my modern novel class and boy is it brutal. I can honestly say I have never read a more difficult book than this one. I would say that I hate it, but I won't be surprised if I'm completely blown away by its brilliance once we go over it in class. It's just incredibly confusing, that's all. I'm currently 365 pages in and only found out who the main character is because I wikipedia-ed it. Turns out that the entire book also takes place in the span of one day, so it is describing one man's every waking, stream-of-conscious thought. Another handy fact that would have made more sense to know at the beginning. It's my own fault though really, all that info is on the back cover I just generally refuse to read the back cover so as to avoid having anything given away. I have to give it to the author though, he readily admitted that he "put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant." I love university.


Esperanza Spalding
Who you ask? Well that's a darn good question, because I have no idea either. And what I really want to know is how, this seemingly unheard of person somehow nabbed the Grammy for Best New Artist. Seriously?! Normally, I wouldn't care but how in the world do you beat out Mumford & Sons (whose album is STILL number one on Itunes), Florence and the Machine (who is spectacular), Justin Bieber (who is internationally known), and Drake (who, granted, I have nothing good to say about but, hey he made it big in the US so that's impressive for a Canadian). Does anyone know anything about this woman because she must be phenomenal. Other exciting Grammy news: Arcade Fire won Album of the Year, Herbie Hancock beat out Katy Perry, Beyonce, Lady Gaga, and Eminem for Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals, and Switchfoot won Best Rock Gospel Album for Hello Hurricane. The rest were either incredibly predictable, too sad to mention, or uninteresting to me. Though I did note a strong Canadian presence in the nominees so... woot.


Egypt
Revolution gives me the shivers. I'm super intrigued by everything that's been happening over yonder and am amazed to hear that things are actually moving. The world is changing and the people are the ones changing it. Go figure. Here's a video of a positive look on all the rioting: http://www.wimp.com/egyptianprotests/

So all this change sounds really positive, I just hope that it isn't a mistake to place the power in the hands of the high command of the armed forces, especially since the power is constitutionally supposed to shift to the speaker of parliament. I mean, it's obvious that this is what the Egyptian people were going for, but military coups aren't known to bode that well, right? Either way, still hoping and praying that good things happen.

Me No Speak Americano
I have this friend. He's a pretty stellar guy. He's also really funny. He made a video. It went big. I personally have watched this video easily over 2,000 times, if nothing but for the sake of bumping up the play count so other people will watch it too. I told myself I would promote it once it hit 100,000 but today I checked and somehow it had shot up to 110,000 views. So I'm a little late on my self promise, but here's his vid, which you've probably already seen but that's ok, you can watch it again.



That is all. Goodnight.

3 comments:

kerry said...

I honestly think if I'd registered for a class with Ulysses on the syllabus, I would have dropped it. I supremely respect your commitment and readingness.

I watched the Mark video.

Have you seen the "who is arcade fire" tumblr site? It's pretty funny.

mdwillems said...

Honestly, if reading Ulysses wasn't on my life list I would definitely have dropped it. That being said I'm so glad I'm taking a class on it because I'm actually starting to understand it and how brilliant it is. I wish I could take classes on the Odyssey and Iliad as well.

Haha, I went to the site. My favourite post was "It's a weird world we live in when someone called Arcade Fire can win a Grammy n Justin Bieber doesn't." There are a lot of very angry people on that site.

Also someone else made a good point: "Esperanza Spaulding's Twitter account isn't even VERIFIED thats how much of a nobody she is!!!" You know you're a nobody when your Twitter account isn't even verified!!

kerry said...

Well, I applaud your bravery in including Ulysses on your life list. That's still commitment and readingness.

(I'm thinking about tweeting ... mostly so I can follow people who need verified accounts.)