Wednesday 8 June 2011

Unplugging

I missed a day. But in a really really good way.

I was challenging myself to write a blog post every day and I still very much intend to keep that challenge, but another challenge came into my life.

My father, step-mother, and I were sitting around talking yesterday. The topic got on technology and how much we depend on it. They had been considering cutting their cable for the summer and I told them that, as much as I hated it as a kid, having only three channels (and that fourth channel that if you squinted hard enough and stood in just the right spot in the living room) was one of the best things my parents could have done for me.

I know that this is an issue we all face. As I was telling them about the "evils of technology", I couldn't help but note that twinge of hypocrisy rising up in me. I am certainly not the best example of a technology-free life. I am on my laptop a lot and often need a movie or show running to fall asleep to (I hate it, but it's true). But, the more we talked about the implications, the more ideas began to take shape. As we all know, it's not that technology in itself is bad, it's just amazing how much it dominates everything that we do. I pulled from one of my favourite books, Donald Miller's "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years" which talks about living a better story. It says that it is impossible to live a good story if you are too busy watching someone else's. It's a simple statement, but a powerful one, and one that I'm sure you could unpack in many different ways.

All of this culminated in an agreement to start small and see where that goes. We decided to cut out screens every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. That means no Xbox, no TV, no Internet. Obviously some of these things are more tempting to certain people, but it's all about the solidarity. This literally means unplugging the chord which controls all of these things (quite convenient really) for the day.

Monday was our first test. I definitely entirely forgot and checked Facebook first thing in the morning. Oops. But once upstairs I was quickly reminded and the knowledge that my father was going to suffer more than I was was a big encouragement. It was a busy day to begin with, but it is AMAzing how much more you can fit in a day when you're not flipping open the computer every once in a while just to do a quick check. I wouldn't say I'm a drastic over-user of the Internet, but I couldn't help but notice what a huge difference it made yesterday. The biggest change came at the end of the day when we were all sitting around after supper. With no Xbox to run off to for my stepbrother and no TV to flick on for the post-supper digestion, we sat in baffled silence, asking ourselves... Now what? It was entertaining in that sad and pathetic kind of way, watching ourselves react to this seemingly unique experience. In the end we settled for a board game--which turned out to be quite entertaining--and an early night; who knew having to be creative all day took up so much energy?

This is a challenge that everyone makes at different times in their lives, and I think it's a really important one. Like I said, there are certainly good things that come with the Internet so I don't think it's something to throw out the window all together, but there is definite power in limiting it in your life. I'm incredibly interested to see what the next couple weeks or months is going to look like with all this free time on our hands. This means that my blogging schedule will return to being somewhat inconsistent, but since I consider working on my writing part of my "job", I will try to remain as consistent as possible.

Wish me luck :P

4 comments:

kerry said...

You could write two blog posts and schedule them to post on a daily basis. Just sayin' ... but I also think that's healthy. I've been wildly unproductive at home this week because I turn on my computer to listen to music and think ... "oh, I'll just check facebook. oh, I'll just check Twitter. oh, I'll just look at my bank account. etc., etc., etc."

Ben said...

Your blog has decided me. I'm going to do this:

http://blog.xkcd.com/2011/02/18/distraction-affliction-correction-extensio/

Computers are terrible time machines. They can so easily transport you hours into the future without giving you new experiences.

mdwillems said...

Kerry: You can schedule blog posts?!? Like pre-set them to post at a certain time?!? Tell me of this magic!

Ben: I loved that link!! I also found some other really great links off of it that I will definitely be posting about later. It's a great idea and I wish you luck. Tell me if it works.

Ben said...

The problem is I need to come up with a defined rule set. For example, if I'm watching videos on youtube, do I need to restart between each video? Are related videos fine? Is watching several videos on one subject considered doing one thing? What about saying that I can do as many activities as I want as long as I stay in the same domain name like youtube or chess.com or something.

I'm leaning towards making groupings like news, blogs, chess videos, music, wikipedia etc. And I can stay in a group as long as possible but if I get bored then I can't just switch to another without restarting.