Monday 20 December 2010

Life List Commentary Numero One

Those of you who know me know that I love lists: this is not a secret fact. Honestly it doesn’t even matter what is on the list, just as long as it is there and I can read it, I will most likely love it. Bonus points if I actually get to cross something off on it. I have thrown out hundreds of papers filled with lists that I wrote down for the sole purpose of crossing each item off to feel that euphoric sense of accomplishment. For those of you who get this feeling, I don’t need to explain it, and for those of you who don’t, my words won’t change that. I have wasted countless hours reading every single Best of/Worst of list on the internet. Lists are the reason that my sisters could sucker me in to watching the Pre-Oscar Red Carpet commentaries and they are also the reason why I am desperate to see the nominations of any award show ever. December is one of my favourite months because the Internet is flooded with lists that simplifying the year into that orderly formation of 1 to 10.

Yet, I’ve still never really liked David Letterman. Strange.

Now enter the Life List. I started this list some time around Grade 9. It began with a small to do list that eventually evolved into what is now a living, breathing record of my life. Some people say that lists are binding and limiting, but for me this thing is freeing. I control it and it guides me, really just a win win win situation all around. It has changed quite a lot over the years and I have found different versions of it scattered throughout all my different journals and writings, and it will continue to grow and alter as the years change. I used to feel guilty about adding or removing things but I realized that that’s not really the point. The point is for me to remember things that I have been passionate about and to attempt to incorporate them into my life as best I can. I try to be working towards at least one item on the list at any given time and there are few things better in this world than getting that oh-so-satisfying feeling of placing a profound, thick line through each word.

My latest accomplishment on this list has been present since my original list in Gr. 9 and has been a dream of mine ever since: to conduct a band. As many of you know I am working towards my Bachelor of Education degree and I got to experience my first practicum this year. I was placed with a teacher who taught Zoology, Science, Sports Enrichment, and Japanese, all classes that I am very passionate about. Not! (Though I definitely did gain a new appreciation for Japanese. And I can say I now know how to dissect anything from a pregnant frog to a rabbit to a crayfish. But still, these are not my passions.) Hours of science classes drove me to seek out the music department at the school and ask if they needed any help. To my great surprise the band director not only let me play with his band but immediately agreed to allow me to conduct one of the pieces in the Christmas concert. Pretty trusting considering he did not even ask me whether I have any conducting experience at all (which, frankly, I don’t, unless you count the numerous hours I have spent waving my imaginary baton in the air to the blaring sounds of Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture since the ripe old age of 4).

Skip forward three months. After lots of overtime practice hours, plenty of daily air conducting, and tons of stifled nerves, I found myself walking up to the platform to conduct a soothing rendition of Silver Bells. I had a plan.

Step 1: Don’t trip going up to the stage.

Step 2: Don’t start at the wrong tempo.

Step 3: Smile

Step 4: Don’t drop the baton.

Step 5: End at the same time.

Step 6: Don’t trip getting off the stage.

As long as I could master those six things, I was good to go. And, to my great relief, I did. It wasn’t the Philharmonic Orchestra and it wasn’t the Apollo Theater (really it was quite the opposite) but it was cool and something I’ve wanted to do ever since my father gave me my first air baton (yup, he was there right beside me conducting the final crescendo of the overture). And, with the way things are looking with my Music minor potentially down the drain (due to lame registration timings) it may be the first and last opportunity I ever get, which makes it that much more special.


So here’s to placing a solid, fulfilling line through #28: Conduct a Band.

To end, I leave you with an uncannily accurate portrayal of Little Michael (I blame it on the uniformity of mushroom cuts.) PS: If you don’t want to watch the whole thing you get the main gist after the first minute.



Also, while writing this post I’ve been listening to the 1812 Overture over and over again. If you have not actually heard this song (or at least the finale), then listen to it here, and I dare you not to raise your hands in triumphant conducting glory.



Special thanks to Sarah V and her mom for the pics.

4 comments:

Ben said...

A list:
1. Science! Science, science, science. Science: science? Science.
2. Needless to affirm your excellent taste in music.
3. Can't believe I never noticed that La Marseillaise is quoted.
4. The triplets at ~3:30 make my life.
5. That kid is actually pretty decent. Perhaps not the steadiest with tempo, but seems to get what's going on.

kerry said...

Lists are my favourite.

mdwillems said...

Ben, as I much as I can appreciate your love of science and even have a firm respect of it myself, a good combination of words or notes will always be more interesting to me than a chemical formation. I hope this won't ruin our friendship forever. Sincerely, Michael.

Doug said...

Now that you have achieved manhood, kind sir, I wish to bestow the final two ancient wisdoms of the Brotherhood Nation Of 1812 Overture Air Conductors: 1. To fully encompass the ideals of the Brotherhood you must seek out and conduct the version of the holy Overture that uses actual cannons in the closing crescendos. Only this version will lift you to ultimate nirvana. 2. You will have achieved full Brotherhood status on the day in which you conduct the holy Overture on a sound system capable of physically damaging a large auditorium at acoustic levels that inhibit one's ability to inhale. (Fond memories and special thanks to Dalhousie Community Church for purchasing those 4000 watt amps.) Once you achieve that my son, the secret handshake will welcome you into the Brotherhood for life.